WC.com

Thursday, August 27, 2026

John Burton Passes 2026

The WCI 2026 is officially “in the can.“ I find myself reflecting on the many years I have trekked to Orlando for this annual event. I have many fond memories of nuggets, takeaways, and personal growth. I couldn’t possibly list all of those who have influenced me, supported me, paved a path, and thrown obstructions.

That last one is a little harder to value, perhaps. "He is grateful for opposition?" Yes. The roadblocks and naysayers could be viewed as negatives. But I am so grateful for them, regardless of their intent. Whether you threw the obstruction to stop me or to make me stronger is irrelevant. In the end, the character of each was not yours to decide, but mine.

On Tuesday, August 25, 2026. I learned of the passing of John Burton. Professor Burton was an economist of significant note in the world of workers' compensation. He chaired the National Commission appointed during the Nixon administration and anointed by the same statute that created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in 1972.

Regardless of your perspective on his analyses and hypotheses, Dr. Burton was an icon in the world of Workers’ Compensation. In our modern world, it is fair to say that scholarship about this topic is thin. 

I know of only one college professor with a significant focus on it: economist Dr. Bob Hartwig. I know of only one full-time law school professor with a significant academic focus on it, Michael Duff. Historically, you might note Professor Larson at Duke (1910-1993) and his successor, Thomas Robinson. Contributors all, but a very small group of academics in a vast and complex world.  

And with the passing of Dr. Burton, the tiny group contracts. 

I have been critical of both the 1970 Commission and their 1972 report. See Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears (April 2022). That has been public and patent. The intent has never been to question the author, but some might see me throwing brickbats. 

And there were various of us hands-on citizens of workers' compensation who had our differences of opinion with Dr. Burton. I spoke with him only thrice, but frequently disagreed with his hypotheses, themes, conclusions, and writings. But we grew from his scholarship, whether we perceived his thoughts as inspirations or obstacles.

Dr. Burton was 91 years old. Even today, that is an admirable run. He withdrew to emeritus status on the Rutgers faculty in 2000, but continued to speak on workers' compensation. 

Many in the Worker’s Compensation world prognosticated regarding his age. He was old enough to chair the Commission in 1973, and yet was still making public appearances in the 21st-century. If you knew nothing else about the man, his longevity, energy, and persistent motivation should remain inspiring.

Changing gears for a moment, I found myself inadvertently in a pertinent conversation Tuesday morning at the WCI. It was with a shy and reserved individual whom I therefore elect not to identify. Let us just say I spoke with Horace Middlemier* at great length.

Horace was focused on his “love” of the Worker’s Compensation community, the WCI conference, and the various people to which it exposes (Horace loves to love and to say "love," "love it," and "love you."). 

Our conversation kept returning to these people and this community, and the inexplicable ignorance of our greatest strength (people seem oblivious to the great value of our people and their interactions). The humans involved in workers' compensation across America are invariably cordial, collegial, and committed to community.

Certainly, there’s intellect, imagination, and collectivity here. Any group of people can be inspired, clever, and appear engaged. Being engaged is much harder to feign, and doing so persistently is impractical or worse. I have watched this community long enough to accept its sincerity. 

But Horace's critical point was not in the "what," but in the "how." His sense of wonder and admiration was not simply in the practice, the business, or the people. His global enchantment was in the amazing interwoven and continuous cloth that each of these various threads contributes to the overall whole. 

Horace questioned passionately, “Where else does this exist?” He meant the interaction. He was describing the breadth of obvious, sincere friendships. His focus was the sincerity, commitment, and obvious passion that exist for this mission and each other. Indeed, where else does this exist? A question that should make us all grateful to be in this space. 

I have struggled over the years to capture my emotions that attach to this community. Though I work daily with words and strive to one day become a great communicator, I struggle to describe the depth and breadth of community in which we find ourselves.

I conclude that Horace's characterization is both accurate and astute. This community is, in fact, the combination of a tremendous volume of extremely diverse threads woven together in sometimes curious and unexpected ways. We are become a fabric, or more aptly a quilt.

And then we turn ourselves to the analysis of what type of quilt has been thus constructed. And doing so we must avoid the hubris of believing that any one of us sees or comprehends the entirety of this tapestry. 

At best, in a moment that is a career, you may have contributed some small influence on the appearance of one square of the vast quilt. Invest a career, and you will likely not understand all the contributors or even the challenges. I spoke with Jim McConnaughay this year, and he related learning recently about new facts and issues. He has been in this community for over 50 years. 

And if you gaze upon the community, the whole quilt, from the vantage of your square, it may have a particular appearance or appeal to you. Nonetheless, you must contemplate and comprehend that others standing upon their square, or sharing the square of some other contributor, may gain an utterly different perspective. This is broad, deep, and complex no matter how straightforward your own square might be or seem. 

Different. Not better. Different. Not right or wrong. Different. Perspectives can be different. 

As I reflect upon my conversations with Dr. Burton, I am reminded of our coincidence and contradiction. He was no more a lawyer than I am an economist. We therefore often viewed the world and this segment differently and had diverse perspectives on topics from causation to compensation. I might have the same perspective differences with any of you reading this.

Dr. Burton was no more qualified than anyone to examine and opine. Yet, he was no less so. No less so than a doctor, nurse, chiropractor, claims manager, risk manager, business owner, attorney, or employee. Every perspective has the gravitas to commentate. Many lack the time, the platform, or the inclination. 

In the end, our world is diminished by Dr. Burton's passing. By no means because he was right, but by all means because he was engaged, interested, and honest in his perspective. I disagreed with him often. I hope that I did so respectfully of his absolute right to his opinion. 

I respected that he truly felt as he said. I need not agree with it to value it. I frankly don’t need to even understand it. Understanding concepts like economics, law, psychology, medicine, and more comes at great cost. It must be studied, contemplated, tested, and tempered. Professor Burton did that. He was an honest scholar and a dedicated student of our world of workers' compensation. 

Yesterday morning, as I rode west from WCI 2026, trying to outrun the sunrise, I reflected on so many of you about whom I would say the exact same thing. Whether you’ve given me succor or adversity, intentionally or obliviously, thank you for bringing your energies, talents, and perspectives to this community in a conversation. 

I decide how to view your perspective, praise, roadblock, or brickbat. I decide to resort to angst or analysis. I decide to persevere or cower. Not based on your intent, but on my willingness to listen, analyze, and agree or disagree. That is, disagree without being disagreeable. We can all have our own perspective, approach, and conclusions. See Perspective and Respect (August 2016). Let us do so with dignity and mutual respect. 

Dr. Burton and I were none of the following: friends, allies, antagonists, or enemies. We were each students, teachers, and analysts. I do not pretend to hold myself up as a peer. Possibly, John Burton had no peers. But I do believe, passionately, that he was academically honest in his approach, analyses, and conclusions. That does not mean I agree with him, but I do believe he was sincere and appropriate in his approach and study. In the end, is there a better compliment on a life well lived?

We should all be so honest and open, regardless of our perspective(s) and beliefs. We should remember that as we disagree, we all nonetheless remain part of a community, a critically important community. That is true whether we can recognize and appreciate our personal scope, role, or contribution(s) or not. 

Rest in peace, Dr. Burton. Thanks for the memories, the analyses, the conclusions, and the questions. Thanks for the rigor, the discipline, and the impact you had on this community. 

Rest in peace indeed. May the wind always be at your back. 


*Horace Middlemier is a figment, a foil, an "everyman." He is a recurrent character in my posts about a world in which some seek exposure, and others prefer obscurity. The name is oft used when I lack permission to identify by name.