Live from WCI in Orlando.
There are a few who note their attendance at the annual Workers' Compensation Educational Conference (WCEC) that has become shorthanded over the years to FWCI (fah wik ee), "WCI" (wik ee), and even "comp camp."
I began attending in 1992, which would mean 2026 would be 35 years. It has been 25 years at this venue apparently (see photo), but I think it was fewer. Can I be that ancient?
Time flies. That said, I have missed two WCEC. The first year I presided in Pensacola, I was confronting a monumental backlog of petitions.
My predecessor there quit hearing trials in May of 2001 in anticipation of his predicted November 2001 retirement. He explained that this way he could make sure he got all of his trial orders issued before leaving. The preposterousness of that still resonates today.
Trial orders taking months? To make it worse, despite the 6-month trial hiatus, he still left me a couple of unruled upon trials to retry. Nonetheless, I elected to remain focused on the work that next August.
Later, I had a calendar conflict and missed another conference. But I am here in ORL this year for my 33rd iteration. Others approach their 40th and more. Their battle cry is “remember the Dutch Inn.” If you get that, you are one of them.
The weekend is about community. Saturday was all Give Kids the World. The WCI has driven thousands of hours of labor at that miraculous venue, and built so much community in the process.
But Sunday is the Kids’ Chance golf, and those volunteers worked through Saturday night preparing and rechecking. They are incredible. Golf? Sure. But this is a gathering, community, and brings people together.
Sunday is the PMI (see my Suggestions), but also Moot Court. Students come from across the country, at WCI’s expense, to compete; this is a unique program—the only moot court judged completely by judges. Community and commitment!
The WCI opening session is tomorrow, Monday, August 24. The Industry Keynote with Kimberly George and Mark Walks will strive to foreshadow the next decade and our challenges with resilience. If you start here, make sure you conclude Tuesday with the Strategies for Change on the NWCR program, with Jennifer Jones and her panel. What bookends!
Monday will be a hectic day filled with commitments, meetings, and learning. By the time most attendees wander to the big Monday reception, I will have reached a point of exhaustion. I will seek a sandwich and a nap.
My picks for the day were published WCI 2026 - Dave's Suggestions (August 2026). I get some grief on that -- “who are you to pick?” But these are my suggestions; if yours are different, publish yours.
Stay tuned here for a recap early Tuesday, and thoughts on the last two days, Tuesday and Wednesday.

