WC.com

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Half-Way through WCI 2026

The WCI 2026 opened with a splash. There were incredible opportunities yesterday and big crowds. The enthusiasm in this workers' compensation community is nothing short of inspiring. There are greetings in the hall, conversations both passing and in-depth, and a myriad of ideas, inspirations, and thoughts. The breadth of people involved in workers' compensation across the country is inspiring. 

Even before the opening, Sunday was an amazing day. I had the chance to listen to a young person describe their personal journey to adulthood. It was a public meeting, but I still won't name the speaker. This story was about an adolescent who lost a parent to a work accident tragically, instantly, and prematurely. 

I have known of this student for years. I recall when their Kids' Chance application first arrived. There were questions of eligibility and geography. Kids' Chance invested then, and here, about ten years later, I heard the story again, in front of 150 people. It was just as compelling and amazing as the first time. 

The student described being a bit down as they contemplated finances and the struggle to finish college. They found Kids' Chance by chance while Googling options. Then they got a call, and there was some money to support their effort to finish a bachelor's degree. 

Kids' Chance stuck with them through graduation and then a master's. The student found that first job, got a promotion, and so much more. A youth challenged by tragedy has fought their way to a life and a future and is paying it forward for new Kids' Chance recipients today. It was awe-inspiring. 

At the Sunday Moot Court Judge's luncheon, I got to meet a student from Florida State University School of Law. He had driven down at the Dean's invitation and volunteered at the Moot Court. A law student engaging in our little community. I was thrilled he is among the intrepid group signed up for the first FSU workers' compensation class in several years. The interweaving of this community is inspiring. 

I got the chance to pop into the room for the Professional Mediation Institute Sunday. There was great attendance, but particularly so for a Sunday. 

This was the first year that I happened to catch some of the Moot Court participants leaving the building. These were the students who would not progress to the final round Monday. There was understandable disappointment on some faces. I wanted to tell those students how fortunate they are to have even participated and progressed to the quarter-finals. They were obviously discontent, but I am hopeful they give themselves some well-earned praise for progressing so far and making the trip. 

I am persistently grateful for Judge Jacqueline Steele, Tracey Hyde, Esq., Amie Deguzman, Esq., and Elaura Hodges, Esq. There is a lot of history and experience on this Moot Court Committee. Their dedication and commitment to our future, tomorrow's lawyers, is awe-inspiring. 

The OJCC Meet and Greet drew over 150 people. The crowd was loud, gregarious, and engaging. I got to speak to so many workers' compensation professionals. And there were many young faces. This community needs young people who want to engage it, manage it, and make it their own. There were so many of those present. 

We proceeded into Monday with an opening session that recalled so many like it over the years. There is recurrence in workers' compensation. We like our predictability. The information changes, the concerns reiterate, but there is always change, challenge, and an amazing degree of intellectual engagement, curiosity, and conversation. 

The opening included recognitions of volunteerism and engagement. The Kids' Chance Golf Tournament raised record money, despite most golfers being driven inside by an Orlando thunderstorm late in the round. Those golfers were engaged and animated as thanks were delivered, but the place was quiet and attentive when the speech above was delivered.

I popped into some of the Professional Mediation Institute (PMI) Monday, and the crowds were massive. Standing room only was noticeable on multiple presentations there and various other programs. Overall, the presentations were well-attended and engaging. There were lots of opportunities for questions, conversations, and perspectives. 

The Statewide Judicial Nominating Commission met Monday afternoon. They nominated Judges Holley and Young for reappointment. That is gratifying. There are challenges to the judicial role, and a periodic pat on the back from a group who has reviewed your performance is reassuring and even flattering. 

Perhaps the best session of the day was the Regulator's Roundtable. That event was amazingly attended. Frank McKay, a member and former Chair of the Georgia Board, moderated a diverse and diffuse spectrum of topics. I have studied workers' compensation law for decades, and I learned interesting new things through this session. Learning is a lifetime commitment and benefit of this community. 

The National Association of Workers' Compensation Judiciary closed their day with a reception. It inducted former President Sheral Kellar into its Hall of Fame. What a collection of scholars and servants! Then, Hon. Tim Conner (TN) was presented with his credentials as a Board Certified Adjudicator, an earned and auspicious accolade. The NAWCJ does so much to benefit the challenge of adjudication and those who work at it so diligently. 

The young and young at heart hit the Monday reception and concert. The original band cancelled, but suitable replacements were substituted. The music was louder than us old folks might like, but quite enjoyable. The food was likewise delicious.

I sit this morning and reflect. There have been great events and opportunities. I am most grateful for the conversations. Thanks to all who engaged. I am proud of the unheralded breadth of people who have invested months in building and organizing this extravaganza. 

In all, an auspicious Sunday and Monday. I won't rain on that football celebration's claim to primogeniture, but this WCI program is indeed the definitive article. I am proud of the history here, but more importantly, I am grateful for and impressed by the many people who make it happen, make it worthwhile, and keep it real.  

Onward into Tuesday.