WC.com

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Your (Cyber) Health is Your Job

I was pleased recently to attend the Florida Workers’ Compensation Hall of Fame. It is a group comprised of people I have known for an exceptionally long time, and I enjoy their company. Several of them made comments this year regarding my weight; I took advantage of the isolation of the pandemic and assiduously focused attention on my health, including diet and exercise. One of the Hall members commented that it was good to see two-thirds of me; another asked if I was trying out for the part of Lincoln in the school play. Their praise of my efforts was humorous and welcome.

As I departed that evening, one of them asked me in a hushed tone whether I was “alright.” It was a question from the heart and I was happy to explain that my drive over the last two years has fortunately been for all of the right reasons. In fairness, however, some of my motivation has been untoward events in the lives of people I know. A surprising number of people my age have suffered stroke, heart attack, and a variety of other complaints that I always associated with old people. I realized two years ago that I have become one of the old people.

Who is responsible for your health? Would it be rational to stop brushing your teeth, and instead simply conclude they are the dentist’s problem? Would it be any more rational to conclude that your health is your doctor’s problem? How about that your financial well-being is your banker’s problem, or your job is your employer’s problem? I would suggest that any of these is at best naïve, and more likely downright absurd. These are each challenges that we face personally. Of course, we have help. It is fantastic to be able to engage the expertise of various professionals to help us through the complexities of our lives. Despite that, the presence and attention of my doctor does not relieve me of the responsibility to eat right and exercise.

This all came to mind recently as I prepared for the annual WCI conference coming in December. Usually by June, we are in the home stretch and ready for August. The conference is a little later this year, but is fast approaching nonetheless. I am really looking forward to participating in the Cybersecurity Program on Wednesday, December 15, 2021. Looking through the program there are a variety of cyber issues on the earlier days of the program. However, Wednesday is Cyber-central.

It is a topic that we have featured on the Hot Seat; last August: Cybersecurity Threats: What You Can't See Can Hurt You. It is a topic I have written about more than once. See I’ll Be Home (Be)For(e) Christmas (May 2021); The Physical Premises of Cyber Security (August 2020); Cybersecurity Forum 2020 (August 2020); Cybersecurity, 2020’s Hot Topic (January 2020); The Future of Workers' Compensation - Revolutionary Ideas (July 2015); Cybersecurity Hits Home (May 2021).

And, it is a topic that I have been reminded of lately. I received an email in May with the subject line “data breach,” not a welcome message. Fortunately, it came from someone with whom I have communicated, but not frequently. It warned that her/his law firm had been breached. The firm discovered it when others contacted it to question messages purportedly coming from the firm. 

Think of that, the firm’s computers were misbehaving and no one in the firm noticed. These villains are stealthy. The firm took an optimistic tone in the email, glad that it remained unaware of “any actual misuse” of its customer’s information. It made suggestions regarding what might be at risk and what its customers might try in order to prevent loss. That email could not have been easy to write or to send.



Will you continue to believe that cybersecurity is your IT team’s problem? That is as inappropriate as believing your teeth are the dentist’s problem. Sure, the IT team can help you with cybersecurity, but there is a cyber role for everyone at your business. You can learn to recognize your role and understand the roles of others. You can begin to better understand how data is being accessed and used. Worse, you can learn how your access to your own data might be “kidnapped, tied up, Taken away and held for ransom” (Tom Petty, Refugee, 1979). The recent ransomware attack on the gas pipeline made the headlines. Were there ways those attackers could have been prevented or at least frustrated?

I am thankful for the professionals there to help me. But, I am going to look out for my own health also. The IT team is a great resource, but I am going to invest in knowing how my behavior can assist them and my network, its data, and customers. My diet and exercise help my doctors keep me healthy, and my personal computing behavior can do the same for the IT team.

Back to Tom, in the end: “Listen, it don't really matter to me baby, You believe what you want to believe, you see, You don't have to live like a refugee.” In addition, similarly, you don’t have to wonder how to strive to achieve. Instead, join us on December 15, 2021, for the Cybersecurity half-day program. You will learn something, better appreciate your IT team, and prepare to guard against persistent and pervasive threats. Sure, you are not the IT guru (at least I am not), but I will learn to help them help me. 

I am looking forward to seeing you there. You cannot beat the price, it is included in the WCI360 conference. Your very livelihood could depend upon what these experts have to teach you about your cyber health. Or, you can “live like a refugee” if you prefer. See you there? I won't be dressed as Lincoln.