WC.com

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Kids' Chance Challenge

The day-to-day is a struggle sometimes. There are challenges in this workers' compensation community, regardless of your specialty or focus. That has been more notable in this pandemic, but true all along.

Back in the 1980s and early 1990s, there was a situation comedy called Cheers. In those days, production companies paid to have original, catchy introduction music for their franchises. That trend has faded, but my generation grew up with such songs. The theme from Cheers became, for a generation, a classic in its own right. One stanza in particular came back to me in this context:
"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot."
The full lyrics are humorous. But, the point today is that the weight of this world can be challenging. A bright spot sure would mean a lot. What if you could actually help someone? What if you could bring a ray of hope to an otherwise threatening and scary situation? What if you could literally make someone's day? What if it would cost you nothing but a few minutes?

Workers' compensation, the community, and the process take a lot of grief every day. The people in this field are persistently underappreciated when they are appreciated at all. I am astounded by the vast array of talent, dedication, and focus I encounter in this community. I am grateful, and appreciative of you, your efforts, and the successes that mean restoration of function and recovery for so many. 

But, it is too easy to forget that for every injured worker there is an impacted family. Workers' compensation does little for the family. Outside of death benefits when the most disastrous of outcomes occurs, there is little thought of the family. And yet, the impacts there are real, pernicious, and persistent. 

Kids are so important. You can discount them for their lack of focus. You can lament that they have not faced the challenges you did. You can ridicule their entire generation, proclivities, predispositions, and preparedness. Understand this: I do not care if you appreciate them, understand them, or believe in them. They are our future. Like that of do not, they are the future and we are either the past or fast approaching that status. 

It received an email recently from a Kids Chance of Florida Board member; I get those periodically and those names in my inbox are not shocking. But, the subject line caught my eye: "I did it." That was clickbait and in I went. I soon realized I was looking at a reply to a forwarded message from a Kids' Chance scholarship recipient. The first line Board member had typed was "This made my day" and I had to read on. I have to admit that by the time I finished, I was well beyond "made my day." It made my month, at least. 

It began with well wishes and then to business. The business: "I wanted to let you know that this past Saturday I finally walked down the stage and graduated with my Bachelor's in Applied Science!!!"?Yes, enthusiasm and all three exclamation points in the original. The message described the pride of two parents, one of them a Florida injured worker. The student described the joy and the relief at finally accomplishing a goal. 

This is a college graduate. One that has faced the reality of a serious injury to a family member. A child who has been forced to grow up rapidly and undertake responsibilities and challenges that would sober many an adult. A family member who kept eyes on the future and dug into the challenge of college despite challenges. And, in a very small way, I think I played a role in this young person's success. 

No, I did not finance the student's education. No, I did not find the student, recruit the student, or even motivate the student. But, through service on the Board of Kids' Chance of Florida, I played a minuscule role in this fantastic human being's life, future, and success. I am immensely proud of the student, the commitment, and the dedication. 

This student is today a college graduate. Plans for the "next chapter of my life" were mentioned. The student is an entrepreneur with a new vegan cake small business. The excitement about being a vendor in an upcoming festival was palpable. A success story in the making. And, in the most minuscule way, I helped. The closing line brought a lump to my throat: "Thank you again, Kids’ Chance is my family and I can’t wait to one day help other students like myself!!!" 

This is a kid that gets it. This is a student who has overcome the odds, achieved the first goal, and is prepared to face the future. This is a kid who sees value in the community and aspires to be on the giving side. And, I played a minuscule role. What if you had referred this student? You can nominate a student anonymously. What if you had, and played even a minuscule role in this momentous day? I wish this young person prosperity and Godspeed. I hope the student realizes what a bright spot this is in my month. 

I wish for you the same feeling. Nominate a student. Refer a parent. Make a difference. And, in the end, maybe you will meet a fantastic success story like this student (or more). The point is, that you don't have to be everything in the process (nominator, motivator, financier, etc). You can choose to just be something in the process and help that student find Kids Chance or vice-versa. I hope you have that opportunity. I hope you will choose to make that one little effort and nominate a worthy kid who has been impacted by a parent or guardian's serious workplace injury.

"Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot." It would help you, and some worthy students. How about it? Just a minuscule effort, a moment, to help change a life?