WC.com

Sunday, February 24, 2019

The FLREA and a Great Week

It seems like the news is always bad. Back in 1982, Don Henley of Eagles fame had a solo hit Dirty Laundry. The song parodies the news industry with reminders about its focus on the negative. There he said things like "It's interesting when people die," "Get the widow on the set," and he concludes with 
"We can do the Innuendo, We can dance and sing, When it's said and done, We haven't told you a thing, We all know that Crap is King"
It’s not a challenge to find news of individuals acting poorly. The media persists in bringing dark images for us. As Don Henley so aptly reminded us, that is what draws viewers and thus what the news portrays. 

I think we long for good news. I think we all want some reassurance that tomorrow may bring good. And once again, last week, I enjoyed the opportunity to experience the good. I was privileged to interact with 48 exceptional young people engaged in the Florida Law Related Education Association (FLREA) Mock Trial Competition in Florida’s First Judicial Circuit. 

This year, I was the local coordinator. I planned and choreographed (it is intensely demanding and rewarding). In years past, I have primarily been a presiding judge, but periodically a timekeeper. I missed the presiding role this year, more on that later. I caught the bug for this endeavor many years ago in Jacksonville when I had a brief opportunity to help a team at Fletcher High School, coached by the legendary Ed Lange. He was truly a legend in the high school mock trial. I was privileged to know him, however briefly. 

Six high school teams appeared this year in the First Circuit, each comprised of eight students. We originally had a record eight teams register, but two dropped out at the last minute. They were tasked with presenting a fictional trial presentation including opening and closing statements, and direct and cross-examination of witnesses. 

In the end, there was a victor. But throughout, there was growth, achievement, and various smaller accomplishments. This year, I missed having the opportunity to preside over a round. I had agreed to organize the tournament and felt it best not to preside. However, I was present and able to observe periodically during each round. I came to some conclusions. 

First, regardless of the news' failure to persistently remind us, there are exceptional young people today. They work on developing their skills, their futures, and frankly our futures as well. I was reminded of a stanza from The Greatest Love of All covered by Whitney Houston in 1985 
"I believe the children are our future, Teach them well and let them lead the way, Show them all the beauty they possess inside, Give them a sense of pride to make it easier"
That song should remind us of the critical value that our young possess. They will mature at different rates, peak at different stages, bring various skills, interests, strengths, and weaknesses. But, they are all our future. We will come to live with the world that they form as we all fade to the back of this proverbial stage. They need us so much, but we have to remember the symbiosis: we need them so much more. 

In this Circuit, we are amazingly fortunate to have the financial support of the Escambia Santa Rosa County Bar Association (ESRBA), particularly the Young Lawyers Division. Because of their resources and generosity, this competition is not held in classrooms, but in courtrooms at the circuit courthouse. Because of their generosity, we are able to place trophies and gavels (individual awards) in the hands of these exceptionally hard-working students. 

At the conclusion of the week, I struggled somewhat through the awards presentation. The exuberance and excitement of the victors is heartening. But the disappointment of the rest is palpable. I applaud the winners headed to Orlando for their next challenge, but I personally identify more with those who will not advance to the state competition. I feel their disappointment, and I commiserate. 

As hard as they have worked, as exceptional and outstanding as they are, I lament they cannot all emerge victorious. But on reflection, I remember that the best lessons I have learned in life came not from my victories and successes, but from disappointment. I remember those times when I stumbled and fell. I grew from those bumps and bruises. I look back on several of those today with appreciation for what they taught me, though they were certainly hard at the time. Some even make me smile and laugh today though. 

At the awards ceremony, the President of the Young Lawyers Division, Jessica Etherton, was generous with her praise of the participants. She thanked the various lawyers who contributed time to judge the contest throughout the week. She explained that her coworkers at the State Attorney's Office had spoken enthusiastically about their perceptions of the students. She encouraged the students to aspire to law school, to return to their communities here in the Florida Panhandle, and to become members of the bar and particularly the Young Lawyer's Division. 

She was not the only person to deliver inspiring words. The rounds in this Circuit were all presided over by actual judges. There were two federal Judges, Roger Vinson and Elizabeth Timothy; two Circuit Judges, Gary Bergosh and Michael Jones; County Judges Amy Broderson, Jennifer Frydrychowicz, and Kerra Smith; and from the Office of Judges of Compensation Claims, Judge Jonathan Walker. It was a stellar group. We had twenty local attorneys participate to score the rounds. And after each round these folks spent time with the students, provided feedback, encouraged, mentored, criticized carefully, and taught. 

The astounding team sponsors are each high school teacher. Over the years, I have met several. Few have any significant legal training. They therefore tend to augment their team with a local attorney coach as well. These dedicated mentors contribute literally hundreds of hours of time to the development and growth of these young people. They remind me of The Bridge Builder poem by Will Allen Dromgoole. Throughout the week the student's talent and dedication showed, as did the careful coaching of so many talented teachers and attorneys. 

As I reflect on the week, I am struck by some memories. First, I was so impressed with the professionalism, the poise, the persistent "yes sir" and "thank you" that I heard. I was overwhelmed by the number of students, throughout the week, who expressed their gratitude for the effort that went into organizing the program, my role. They always file past those judges and lawyers after the critique, shake hands, and say thank you. But, I was touched that they would recognize my effort in the endeavor, as I was behind the scenes this year. Their attitudes and perceptiveness were truly heartwarming. 

I was caught off guard by one comment, however. As mentioned, I have presided in this contest for many years. The older students this year let me know they remembered me from that role. Several asked me why I was not presiding. I was flattered frankly that they even remembered me. 

After all the awards were presented, and the courtroom had significantly cleared, I was picking up wrappings from an award when one student in a group called out. He said something like "Would you just once for us say 'I understand, overruled.'" Apparently, at least with some small group, I have a catchphrase. Perhaps I overrule more than I sustain? Certainly, it is no “Gitter done,“ or "I say nay nay," or even "I'm fluffy" that we associate with some famous comedians. But, in a Captain Jack Sparrow way ("but you have heard of me"), I am flattered and touched. 

Caught off guard in that moment, I was surprised and I didn't say it for them. But, I was touched that over the years these students have listened. Perhaps, just perhaps, something else I said made a difference to one of them. Maybe, just maybe, the hours spent presiding, time-keeping, and organizing brought value to one or more students. And, as mentioned above, that is critical because as much as these students need us, we cannot forget that we need them more. 

I am proud of them all. I am grateful for their effort and achievement. And, I am grateful for all of the lawyers, judges, teachers, and other volunteers that make this competition possible. Finally, I am thankful for the FLREA, without whom there would be no such competition to inspire and enrich these leaders of our future. If the spirit takes you, look for a similar organization where you live so that you too can participate, coach, or judge. If you need help finding one in Florida, contact me (judgelangham "at" yahoo.com) or the FLREA.